Lately I’ve been into challenging myself by setting arbitrary rules for my behavior, usually for a one-month period. The idea is to learn or grow through this exercise. Some things I’ve tried so far:
- Going vegetarian for a month. This didn’t feel all that enlightening at the time, but for other reasons I’ve since become full-time vegetarian..
- Going super-low-carb for a month. This was very educational, as I learned how amazingly addicted I was to sugar. I would encourage anyone interested in learning about themselves to cut out refined carbs (e.g. bread) and sugar for as little as a week. Even if you’re eating fruit (I was), it’ll be an eye-opener.
- Being silent one day a week. No speaking at all. I’ve only tried this one day so far (yesterday).
- Going to bed at 9:00pm every night. I didn’t quite manage 9:00, but I was very close most nights.
Here are some ideas I have for future challenges:
- Use only my left hand for all but two-handed activities.
- Being celibate, including masturbation
- Drinking alcohol at least once a day
- Eating only raw food
- Getting up at dawn every day
I’d be interested in hearing what challenges others have tried, and what suggestions others have for personal growth and exploration.